Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Train to Kristiansand

One of the great things about Europe is that you can get just about anywhere comfortably and affordably on the trains. The journey from Stavanger to Kristiansand took about 3 hours and, when I wasn't napping peacefully, I was struck yet again with the amazing beauty of the Norwegian countryside. It's lush & green with cute Nordic style cottages against a striking background of sheer rock mountains that drop off into deep blue fjords & lakes. I do have to say that opening your eyes after a relaxing nap and noticing the sheer drop to your left is better than coffee to get the adrenaline flowing. I arrived without incident and was met by Daniel, a familiar face from Austin via Norway which once again proved to me that although we enjoy exploring the new, there's nothing more comforting than something or someone familiar to make us feel at home no matter where we are in the world.

rg

No comments: