Sunday, August 20, 2006

Out of the Bubble....

While I was in the lovely Norwegian bubble, it seems that the world went a bit wacky.

Due to the news out of the UK, there was a bit of concern about international flights back to the US. The only indication of anything amiss was a small sign at the KLM counter in Stavanger advising that each passenger could only carry one bag onto the flight. I happily checked my 2 packed bags, however I also had a purse and a computer, neither of which I wanted to trust to the great black hole of airline baggage. The woman behind the counter said I could take both on the flight with me to Amsterdam but she couldn't promise anything past that. I had to go through the duty free shop to reach the gate and found it amusing that passengers were purchasing all the items they had not brought to the ticket counter. Especially amusing to me were the folks loading up on duty free liquor since I tried to imagine what they would do should they have to consume their purchases before boarding the plane...quite a feat at 6 in the morning, lol.

Got into Amsterdam, one of the best airports in the world...no doubt Netherlands residents on a budget just hang out at the airport for their vacation since it seems to have everything you could ever imagine. Getting through passport check and onto the plane was simpler than I expected...and I didn't have to give up the computer to the great gaping maw of the baggage world!

rg

No comments: